We are welcoming October with open arms here in the Ohm household; the start of a season full of apple pies, warm colors and cozy meals. Our CSA has all sorts of squashes for each week’s shares, so we hit the web for some inspiring, tasty recipes. Thanks to Shae from The Vedge we found this flavorful and quite satisfying meal for this season, tweaked a bit to our liking. It was a hit, and will certainly be stored in our recipe books for later. What are you creating with your pumpkins this month?
What you’ll need:
- 3.5 lbs of pumpkin, skinned and chopped
- 2 organic apples, cored and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 13.5 oz whole coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 T Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups homemade chicken stock
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 340°. While oven is preheating, prepare pumpkin, onion, and garlic. Add chopped ingredients to a baking dish and top with coconut oil and salt.
- Bake for about an hour, stirring intermittently.
- Combine roasted ingredients with thyme, coconut milk, paprika, turmeric, Parmesan, and chicken stock in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor to blend until smooth consistency is reached.
- Serve hot.
Note: The Vedge recommended topping with toasted pepitas or coconut flakes.