It’s the time of year you can keep your window open all night. When you wake up and hear the birds chirping and the bees buzzing and look outside to a lush forest of green. It’s the month of sunshine and warmth, of life and growth.
Fruits and vegetables are in full bloom. This is the time for fresh berries and bundles of rhubarb to make their way to our local markets. When the sun starts getting a bit hotter, and the days a bit longer, sometimes there is nothing better than a good glass of lemonade.
This time, instead of using just lemons, we figured that with the local rhubarb and organic strawberries in our fridge, we could try something a bit different. Everyone loves strawberry rhubarb pie, so why not put it in a glass for a refreshing mid-day drink?
A versatile recipe you can freeze and make ice pops with, splash some tequila for a flavorful cocktail, or enjoy as is. Next time, I’m excited to try with all sorts of different fruits. Enjoy!
What You’ll Need:
- 3 cups (about 1 pound) organic strawberries, sliced
- 3 stalks rhubarb, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice (takes about 8-10 lemons*)
- zest of 2 lemons
- 3 cups filtered water
- About 1/3 cup honey (we used a bit less**)
What to Do:
- Combine water, rhubarb, lemon zest and honey in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add strawberries and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow mixture to cool.
- Once cooled, blend in a blender with the lemon juice until frothy.
- Store in fridge and enjoy cold.
*we did not have enough lemons (only used about 5) so we substituted with some lime juice and it worked great!
**As a not-so-sweet-tooth kind of family, using a bit less that 1/3 cup was perfect. If you like a sweeter drink, I would add more honey.
Makes about a quart