A pizza without crust?! My Italian grandmother would give me a nice spanking for this one. Nonetheless, yes, we ditched the convenience of a crust to allow the simplicity of flavors shine. And at this point, our house is almost entirely gluten free. It’s nice to see more and more recipes that are equally as tasty (if not more so) when the grain is removed, and this crustless “pizza” is no exception.
Something about the combination of this sweet root with a mild cheese and spicy green makes a well rounded appetizer. The fact of the matter is, beets are in season, and we are enjoying their company at the table. They are packed with vitamins and minerals, help aid in detoxing the body, as well as fighting inflammation to name a few. To find out more about beets and what they are good for, take a look at Dr. Mercola’s article on the Benefits of Beets.
All these ingredients were in our fridge, which made this recipe quite convenient.
Don’t have arugula? Try adding some fresh thyme or sprouts to the mix.
Have left over goat cheese from dinner the night before? Plop a couple of dollops in replace of the ricotta and you have a yummy combo.
Add some toasted pine nuts for a crunch, or pair with another root for some variety.
Don’t be scared to play around; think of combining sweet with salty, nutty, or spicy flavors.
Who knows, maybe you will come up with something even more appealing. Enjoy!
What You’ll Need:
- 5 beets, trimmed and peeled
- ricotta cheese
- small handful of baby arugula
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
note: the picture was taken using 3 small beets (we suggest using more to fill a pie plate and be able to serve the whole family as an appetizer)
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 400°. Wrap beets in tin foil and bake in oven for about 30 minutes or until a fork is inserted easily.
- Remove beets from oven and allow to cool a bit before slicing in 1/4 inch rounds.
- Arrange on your favorite plate in a spiral.
- Add dollops of ricotta (about a tablespoon each), drizzled olive oil, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Top with a some arugula leaves and serve.