This mask is great for all skin types and made with common ingredients you may very well already have in your house. Packed with antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-aging properties, you really can’t beat it.
Turmeric (also known as curcumin) is really an amazing food as well as beauty product, used all over the world, but most commonly in eastern cultures. It’s antibacterial properties help to heal small cuts and burns and is said to be especially great for problem skin types like acne. Turmeric is beneficial for oily skin as well helping to regulate the production of sebum. Turmeric’s antioxidant properties are great for anti-aging by lightening sun spots, reducing scarring and overall giving your skin a bright and youthful appearance, so you don’t want to miss the under-eye dark circles!
Manuka Honey from New Zealand has 4 times the nutritional content than regular honey; really packing in the antibacterial and anti inflammatory properties and healing abilities.
A lot of recipes add milk in their turmeric mask recipes, which I have yet to try. Instead we use our homemade yogurt for added probiotics. In addition, yogurt has been shown to help reduce discoloration, as well as fight acne and prevent premature aging. It also adds a moisturizing property, leaving your skin feel soft and supple.
All three ingredients work in conjunction with one-another to make an overall extremely beneficial mask for your skin.
Be careful with what you wear since Turmeric does stain and may drip on your clothes. I have noticed that it will leave a slight yellow tint to my face, which really leaves a nice glow. I don’t mind this too much, but if you do, I have heard a sugar scrub will remove it completely, though I have yet to try since I am worried that would be too abrasive and irritate my skin. You should decide what works best for your and your skin.
This recipe will make enough for one mask so you can make it fresh and use immediately. I would only use once a week at night, but I have read others use it more often as a spot treatment.
What You’ll Need
- 1 tsp organic, full-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp organic raw honey, or powerful manuka honey from New Zealand
- A clean and smiling face 🙂
What to Do:
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Clean your face as you usually do and pat dry.
- Apply the mask at night by evenly and gently spreading over the face. It will be a bit exfoliating, so if you have sensitive skin, do this part gently. Since it is known for removing hair, you want to avoid your eyebrows and lashes as well as mouth (though it is completely edible).
- Let sit for about 20 minutes or until it dries and rinse off with luke warm/cool water.
- Follow with your favorite toner and moisturizer.
Note: none of these suggestions are written to treat or prevent anything, simply suggestions with what we have experienced and read about others experiencing.
Makes enough for 1 mask
You may also like: