I love quiche. It’s such an easy throw together kind of dinner (or breakfast or lunch!) when you have a plentiful amount of eggs from the chickens in your backyard. This quiche does not have a crust (as all of our quiches don’t) and is made with carefully selected in-season ingredients available at our local food store. Swiss chard and other greens are plentiful right now. As are mushrooms, spring onions (aka green onions, aka scallions), and even local heirloom tomatoes! Instead of using lots of shredded cheese, we opted only for sheep’s feta and it was perfect. The tang of the tomatoes and saltiness of the feta are wonderful combined with the earthy mushrooms, spicy onions, and slightly bitter greens.
Need I say more? Okay, only that it’s super easy to make and the kids love eggs which is a double win in our homes. A one-dish meal for any spring or summer night. Enjoy on your patio at dusk with a glass of wine, and you’re night has just been made.
What You’ll Need:
- 3 large scallions, chopped
- 5 leaves, or one small bundle of Swiss chard, rinsed and chopped (using the stems)
- about 6 white button mushrooms, rinsed well and sliced
- 6 heirloom cherry tomatoes, quartered
- about 3 ounces, or scant 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 pastured eggs
- 1 cup grass-fed milk
- splash of apple cider vinegar
- sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- two dashes of nutmeg
- About 2 T butter or oil for cooking veggies, plus more to grease the pie pan
What to Do:
- In a medium sautee pan over medium-low heat, melt butter and add scallions; cook for a couple minutes.
- Add chopped mushrooms and sautee for a couple more minutes or until slightly starting to wilt.
- Add chopped Swiss chard and cook through, stirring occasionally, until everything is soft and wilted and Swiss chard has reduced by 1/2. This should take about 5-10 minutes.
- Towards the end of cooking, add your splash of vinegar, sea salt and pepper to taste, and cook for another minute or two and turn off flame. Allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, two dashes of nutmeg, sprinkle of sea salt, and pepper.
- Grease a 9-10″ pie pan*. Pour in your vegetable mixture and evenly spread out.
- Add your chopped tomatoes, then your crumbled feta, arranged evenly spaced throughout pan.
- Pour your egg mixture over everything.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until it’s golden brown and comes out firm. Serve warm.
*I actually didn’t do this and somehow it didn’t stick, but I think that’s because I had a terracotta pie pan. I suggest greasing to be safe.
Makes 1 quiche