And just like that we have tripped and fallen into autumn. The weather, though at times is still feeling quite summery, is definitely giving way to the cooler mornings and shorter days. Recipes with common fall flavors and spices are littering the internet. The most quintessential fall ingredient though? Pumpkin. Everything these days, from your morning latte to your after work beer, seems to be loaded with pumpkin flavors. So naturally, (thanks to the Bare Sprout) we made a bread using this famed autumn staple.
Like our previous banana bread recipe, this one follows the same guidelines, but uses pumpkin in place of banana with more spices for an extra flavor boost. You can choose to sweeten it if you wish, or not if you are feeling so bold. Either way, we have skipped the grain flours and opted for our favored almond meal instead. Quite easy to make, and satisfying with every bite, this may be your new favorite go-to seasonal breakfast.
What is your favorite autumn recipe or ingredient?
What You’ll Need
- 1 c. unsweetened pumpkin puree*
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 c. almond butter
- 4 T coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c. almond meal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 c. chopped nuts (like pecans or walnuts)
- 1/4 c. maple syrup (optional)
*Feel free to swap out the pumpkin for applesauce, sweet potato, banana or butternut squash for naturally sweetened versions. If you do, omit the maple syrup all together.
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large mixing bowl combine pumpkin, eggs, oil, nut butter, (syrup if using) and vanilla.
- In a separate smaller bowl, combine almond meal, baking soda, baking powder, and spices.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add chopped pecans and mix.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a loaf pan with coconut oil. Pour in your pumpkin mixture and top with a few half pecans.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 40-50 minutes or until loaf is golden and toothpick is inserted and removed clean.
Makes 1 loaf