What a better way to start off the New Year, than with a refreshing and tasty raw kale salad? When the kale is massaged, it becomes tender and limp as if you have lightly cooked it. It’s not hard to do, but does take a bit of time-this is a perfect activity for your little ones who like to help in the kitchen.
The sun dried tomatoes really bring this recipe to a depth that is just perfectly paired with the nutty avocado and salty feta cheese. You can omit the feta for a vegan spin, or add quinoa to bring this to whole other nutritious level. We enjoyed it just as is, and it was by far our favorite kale salad yet.
Kale is a great vegetable to incorporate into your diet. Read this extensive post on many of the health benefits kale has to offer from Well-Being Secrets and get cooking!
*Ingredients with an asterisk have been added since the original post
What You’ll Need:
- 2 small bundles raw kale, stems removed, tore into small pieces and washed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 oz sun dried tomatoes (about 1/3 cup), chopped into small pieces
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- About 4 oz (1/4 cup) feta cheese, crumbled
- *1 whole cucumber, chopped
- *2-3 carrots, shredded
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- splash of red wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste (optional-see below)
*If using salted sun dried tomatoes, skip putting salt in the dressing.
What to Do:
- Combine kale with a teaspoon of salt and massage until kale is wilted and volume has decreased by half; 5-10 minutes.
- Add green onion, sun dried tomatoes, avocados, and feta. Lightly toss.
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt (if using) and pepper until combined and pour over the kale salad. Toss to coat.
- Taste, and add more salt, olive oil, or lemon juice if needed and serve immediately or store in fridge. Can be made a night ahead of time.
Serving size: 3-5