Do you ever wake up and crave certain foods? Like your body is trying to tell you it needs a certain vitamin or mineral, so it shoots a message to your brain asking for such? That is what happened when I made this dish. Of course it was convenient for me to make, because I had all the ingredients in my fridge. In fact, most recipes on here are made from what we already have in our fridge, mostly because we are trying to use up products before they go bad. And what better way than to make a delicious meal with them?
Anyway, on this particular day, something about sweet potatoes and kale was calling to me. And of course it was breakfast time, so I had to add an egg to the mix. You may have seen recipes on Pinterest of some kind of vegetable dish baked with an egg on it; if so, you’ll understand where I got the inspiration from. It wasn’t hard to put this together, especially because we happened to have left over sweet potato already. All that was needed was to saute kale with spices, mash up the sweet potato with butter, top with an egg and bake until it’s cooked through. So simple, yet so satisfying. What a perfect way to use up left-overs and enjoy as a well-rounded meal to start your day. Enjoy!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 small organic sweet potato, baked at 375° for 30 minutes (we used one left over from dinner)
- 2 cups organic raw kale, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, skinned and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 T butter for sauteing
- dash nutmeg
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- water for blanching
- 1-2 pastured eggs
What to Do:
- If your sweet potato is not already cooked, bake that whole in a 375° preheated oven for about 20-30 minutes.
- Fill a medium-small sized pot about 1/4 of the way with water (just enough to cover your kale). Bring the water to a boil and add your kale. Let kale boil (or blanch) for a few minutes until it is wilted. Remove from water and set aside.
- In a cast iron pan, begin by melting 1 tablespoon of butter. Add your onions and garlic and let saute on medium-low heat until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add your blanched kale to your onions and garlic and mix. Add a dash of nutmeg, sea salt and pepper plus 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and mix. Let saute for a few minutes and turn off heat.
- In a small baking dish, mash your sweet potatoes and top with some butter. Add your sauteed kale, garlic and onions next to it. Crack an egg on top, add some salt and pepper, and bake in 375° oven for about 10-15 minutes or until the white is no longer jiggly.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
Makes 1 serving; feel free to make a bunch and serve as a meal for your family