Did you know that buckwheat is not actually wheat at all? That it is completely gluten-free. In fact, buckwheat is not even a grain. It is actually a fruit seed, which is why it is so unique because it acts like a grain in many ways, including how you cook it. This is what makes buckwheat so fun and versatile to work with and so healthy and delicious all at the same time.
This is perfect to prep the night before a school day and whip up in no time in the morning for you and your kids. A delicious alternative to the store-bought, sugar-filled and processed cereals. You can make it to your family’s liking. Gluten-free? No problem. Dairy-free? Sure thing! With added fresh fruits and nuts, this is sure to give you and your kids a protein punch in the morning for a busy day ahead.
If you have leftovers, store the rest in the fridge and eat it with some milk and fresh fruit as a cold cereal.
What You’ll Need:
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
- 1 1/2 cup milk of your choice (we used coconut)
- 1/2 cup coconut water (if you have it) or spring water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of grated ginger
- pinch sea salt
- 1 T chia seeds, optional thickener
- toasted nuts and seeds** and fruit of your choice for topping
What to Do:
- Combine all ingredients, except chia seeds and toppings, in a jar and seal with plastic wrap. Let sit in your fridge overnight.
- In the morning, pour your ingredients into a pot, with the chia seeds if you are using, and cook for about 10 minutes or until they are soft. Let cool slightly before transferring to a jar you can lid, or to a bowl if you want to eat immediately.
- Top with tons of nuts and seeds, coconut flakes, hemp hearts, etc. and fruit of your choice. We quickly toasted some nuts and seeds plus fresh raspberries and blueberries for on top.
**Toasted nuts and seeds:
- Preheat oven to 350° and combine a handful of chopped walnuts, pumpkin seeds, coconut flakes, dash of sea salt, dash of cinnamon and 1 tsp of coconut oil. Cook for about 7-10 minutes. Add 1 tsp of honey after you removed from oven and mix in if you want it a bit sweetened.
Makes 2-4 servings depending on how much you want to stretch it, and how many toppings you are using.