My favorite way to cook kale recently is by blanching it. It takes only a few minutes, and can be used in a variety of ways afterwards; my favorite being salads. Now I know I am getting as many minerals as possible from the kale; can enjoy a warm(ish) dish, which is especially beneficial in the winter; AND having a salad (which happens to be one of my favorite foods) all at the same time!
This salad is mostly cooked, aside from the avocado and dressing. It can be served slightly warm if you time it right, just at room temperature, or made the night before for lunch. But my favorite part? Which happens to be the most important, is the dressing:
The parsley gives it a refreshing flavor
While a little raw garlic gives it the kick.
Lemon is added for the citrus
Which brightens the whole dish.
And since we are on a rhyming tone,
Let me leave you with this:
A simple kale salad recipe
You can have ready quite quick.
Just top with an egg
For a wonderful break-fast.
What You’ll Need:
- small bundle kale, about 2 cups packed, raw, after stems are removed
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted, chopped into cubes
- 1/2 c. cooked peas
- 5 pieces cooked bacon, chopped (optional: can use any other meat, cheese, or bean depending on your eating habits)
for the dressing:
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
What to Do:
- Bring about 4 cups of water to a boil. Add chopped kale and allow to blanch for a few minutes. Drain.
- Cook peas to packages instructions and set aside.
- Cook bacon (or other protein) to desired consistency. I tend to like it a bit crunchy for salads.
- Mix together all your dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add blanched kale to a separate, serving bowl with peas, bacon, avocado, and top with dressing.
- Serve as is or with an egg on the side.
Makes 1-2 servings