As kids, we looked forward to those snow days, not only because we got out of school, but because we would have this homemade oatmeal. It was so homey and warm and just plain delicious. Something about snowy days makes me want this oatmeal; this stick-to-your-rib kind of breakfast for those frigid winter mornings. We always topped it with maple syrup for added sweetness and cream for that rich addition. What do you like to top your oatmeal with?
- 2 cups uncooked oat groats, rinsed
- 5 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/4 cup raisins and aronia berries
- 8-10 cups water
- 1 T cinnamon
- dash salt
- Combine water and oat groats into crock pot. Top with apples, raisins, cinnamon, and salt. Do not mix.
- Cover, and cook on high for about 3 hours before going to bed.
- Turn the heat down to low, mix, and continue to cook overnight. Check the oatmeal in the morning; it should have absorbed all the water. If not, cook with lid off until it thickens to your liking.
- Top with maple syrup and cream, or fresh fruit if desired.