For a while I was daunted by the task of making jelly; I never knew how to make it gelatinous without turning it into a science experiment with ingredients I can’t even pronounce. But recently we discovered the magic of chia seeds, and how they can help in creating that desired texture all the while adding healthy omega-3 and fiber to your diet. Not to mention, easy! This recipe took no longer than 10 minutes to prepare, and the kids loved it…
- 1 cup or 2 pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 T lemon juice
- dash cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice
- 1-1/2 T chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp water
- Combine pears, lemon juice, spices, vanilla, water and maple syrup in a pot and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the pears become easily mashable (about 10 minutes).
- Mash the pear mixture, and let cook if thicker consistency is desired.
- Remove from heat and add chia seeds. Mix well.
- Let mixture cool slightly and put in jar to refrigerate.
Note: This recipe is not canned, so you will have to eat it up quick before it goes bad!
Makes about a cup of preserve