- 3 lbs sweet Italian woodland pork sausage
- 3 lbs hot Italian woodland pork sausage
- 10 oz organic kale, stems removed and chopped
- 6 bell peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 10 oz package of mushrooms, halved and sliced
- 4-5 small yellow onions, skinned, halved and sliced
- 3 T grass-fed butter for frying
- 1 jar of your favorite organic tomato sauce
- sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut and prep all your vegetables accordingly
2. Place sausage single layered on a large 3-4 inches deep pan and cover with water. You may need more than one pan if you don’t have a large enough one. Turn on flame to medium heat and allow to boil for 20-30 minutes or until all water evaporates. Flip once or twice during this process.
3. Meanwhile, in a large pan (we used a wok) begin to saute vegetables.
4. Melt butter and begin by sauteing onions and peppers. Cook until slightly wilted, stirring often. Add kale and cook until limp. Add mushrooms and cook through continuously stirring your veggies. Salt and pepper generously. Turn off heat a bit before they are finished.
5. Return to your sausages. Once water is boiled off, turn heat down and fry until browned, flipping occasionally. Begin slicing into pieces before they are browned too much, and stir all together to get all sides coated and browned. Turn off flame.
6. Combine sausage to your veggies and turn heat back on.
7. Deglaze your sausage pans by adding a bit of water and scraping the bottom of the pan. This gets all the good flavor incorporated into your dish. Add that gravy, along with the tomato sauce to your sausage and peppers mixture. Stir to incorporate everything.
8.Serve with fresh bread and a salad.
This recipe serves a big family of 12